Wednesday, September 30, 2015

My Prayer



                                 My Prayer
When the twilight is gone and no songbirds are singing
When the twilight is gone you come into my heart
And here in my heart you will stay, while I pray
My prayer is to linger with you
At the end of the day in a dream that's divine
My prayer is a rapture in blue
With the world far away and your lips close to mine
Tonight while our hearts are aglow
Oh tell me the words that I'm longing to know
My prayer and the answer you give
May they still be the same for as long as we live
That you'll always be there at the end of my prayer
                                By the Platters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDlcqhlzDqQ

When I begin to pray, usually out on my backporch, but really anywhere and anytime, I usually begin by reading some text from the Gospel of Mark, or John.  Then I picture Jesus coming across the hills to the Sea of Galilee at his first meeting with those who are to become his disciples and saying to them:
    
     "The present moment is the right time, change the way you
      think  for the Kingdom of God is within you! 
      Believe THIS 'good news'".[Mk1:16]

Then I say to Jesus: "I do believe this good news. Not because I can see it, hear it, smell it, touch it or taste it; nor because I can imagine it nor conceive of it; but only because you said it."

I then focus all of my intention WITHIN and begin to focus on Jesus and the Father within me.

When I was younger I met young women and grew to know them. At first, I would be very nervous and exceedingly self-conscious in their presence. My hand perspired and I felt like a stiff, unable to relax. I rehearsed what I was going to sound like before making a phone call to them to ask if they would like to go out on a date.  After a while, I began to suspect that they liked me and I began to relax. If I liked them as well, I would be very careful to listen to them and laugh with them about things we shared. Eventually, if things progressed as I hoped, we would grow affectionate and talk about everything, even the deepest interior thoughts and feelings, hopes and aspirations for we knew we could trust each other. As our love grew, we would eventually fall into deep silences, not of insecurity as before, but of deepening affection. 

As I grew much older, I grew to want to be closer to God in a similar way. The first step was to believe, really believe that God was WITHIN me and that God loved unlovable me. Jesus' words helped me to believe this because I firmly believed that Jesus was not a liar, and He could be trusted. I firmly believe that God was not only WITHIN me, but that God was WITHIN everyone else as well.  God's being WITHIN us is God's gift to us. My gratitude to God for what God has done began to fill up my mind and heart and so my prayer began to consist in being in this silent room with all the lights off and accepting God's presence WITHIN me. This is my prayer.

A few years ago, I heard a song sung by Alison Krause and Union Station which became my favorite. The lyrics are:
                                  
                         "A Living Prayer"


In this world I walk alone with no place to call my home
But there's one who holds my hand
The rugged road through barren lands
The way is dark, the road is steep
But He's become my eyes to see
The strength to climb, my griefs to bear
The Savior lives inside me there

In your love I find release
A haven from my unbelief
Take my life and let me be
A living prayer my God to thee

In these trials of life I find
Another voice inside my mind
He comforts me and bids me live
Inside the love the Father gives

In your love I find release
A haven from my unbelief
Take my life and let me be
A living prayer my God to thee
take my life and let me be
A living prayer my God to thee
 
             https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gmVzbjxwl4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and may be moderated; standards of civility apply. It will be courteous for commenters to provide a name, even a firstname, with a comment .

Thank you for reading!